Ability to STIMULATE CHANGE related to injury and/or violence prevention through policy, enforcement, advocacy and education
Click to View Sub-Competencies
- Develop and implement a culturally appropriate marketing plan to promote an injury and/or violence prevention activity (e.g. within an organization, given community, etc.).
- Describe the differences between policy, education, lobbying and advocacy as tools to stimulate change in the community.
- Identify key prevention policies, laws or regulations that address injury and/or violence.
- Identify gaps in policies, laws, regulations and enforcement that, if addressed, could reduce injury and/or violence in the community.
- Identify potential partners and opponents in influencing policies, laws, regulations and enforcement and distinguish their roles.
- Describe the role the media and other communication channels play in public education and how to utilize these channels to shape public opinion about injury and/or violence prevention.
- Identify information on the cost of injury and/or violence and be able to describe its application in policy making.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with advocacy/survivor groups (e.g. MADD, National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, etc.) to advance injury and/or violence prevention policies, laws or regulations.
- Demonstrate the ability to use research and evaluation to develop culturally appropriate policy, advocacy and education initiatives.
- Demonstrate the ability to translate policy into organizational plans and programs.
- Understand how policy change can have positive or negative effects on injury and/or violence outcomes.
Topic: General Resources
|Advocacy vs Lobbying in Public Health||Cross-cutting||Webinar|
|Introduction to Policy Analysis in Public Health||Cross-cutting||Course|
|Introduction to Policy Evaluation in Public Health||Cross-cutting||Course|
|The Facts Hurt: A State-by-State Injury Prevention Policy Report||IVP||Publication|
|Understanding Your Role in Injury & Violence Prevention Policy||IVP||Course|