Ability to DESCRIBE and EXPLAIN injury and/or violence as a major social and health problem.
Click to View Sub-Competencies
- Define injury and/or violence and describe the concepts of intentionality and mechanism as they relate to injury and/or violence.
- Describe the biomechanics which underlie how injuries occur.
- Describe how injury and/or violence compare with other leading causes of morbidity and mortality and with regard to burdens on the population (e.g. incidence, cost, years of potential life lost, etc.).
- Explain how injuries and/or violence are preventable.
- Describe an approach to prevention that includes the following steps: (1)problem detection/assessment, (2) identification of risk and protective factors, (3) development of interventions and (4) evaluation of the effectiveness of interventions.
- Explain the continuum of injury and/or violence prevention, from primary prevention to acute care and rehabilitation.
- Explain the importance of collaboration and the role that different agencies, organizations, and disciplines play in prevention.
- Describe how conceptual models (e.g. Haddon Matrix, social ecological model, etc.) are used to portray the multiple factors underlying injury and/or violence.
- Describe the disparity in the risks of injury and/or violence (e.g. differences by age, gender, race, ethnicity, education, location, access to economic resources, access to health care services, sexual orientation, creed, community norms, and the environment).
- Describe the influence of a variety of factors (including age, gender, race, ethnicity, education, access to economic resources, sexual orientation, creed, community norms, access to health care services, and the environment) on injury and/or violence prevention.
Topic: General Resources
|Building Safer States: Core Components of State Public Health Injury & Violence Prevention Programs||IVP||Publication|
|CDC’s Principles of Prevention (POP)||IVP||Course|
|Connecting the Dots: An Overview of the Links Among Multiple Forms of Violence||IVP||Publication|
|Indian Health Service (IHS): Injury Prevention||IVP||Website|
|Injury Prevention 101||IVP||Course|
|Injury Prevention Overview||IVP||Slides/Lecture|
|Moving Mountains: How you can save lives through child injury and violence prevention||IVP||Webinar|